Kobus Gelderblom has spent decades perfecting his craft, with a number of accolades won throughout this time. Working at KWV for 26 years, he served as Chief Brandy Master for the final 10 years before forging his own way in the brandy world.
Kobus has served on the judging panel at the International Spirits Challenge in London as one of six internationally acclaimed judges.
After joining KWV in 1986 (making concentrated juice in Robertson), he has completed the following achievements:
- Studied Food Technology
- Moved to the KWV Laboratory in Paarl
- Began building skills within product development
- Worked as winemaker at Badischer Winzerkellerei and Shloss Munzingen in Germany during 1992
- Researched decolourisation of grape juice concentrate in Germany and Switzerland in 1994
- Lectured part-time at the University of Stellenbosch and Elsenburg
Additional International Experiences in Brandy and Spirits
- France – Cognac, Armagnac & Calvados
- Scotland – Whisky
- Ireland – Whiskey
- Spain – Brandy & Brandy de Jerez
- Italy – Grappa
- Portugal – Port
- Russia – Vodka & Brandy
- Germany – Brandy
- Hungary – Unicum products & Tokaj wines
His passion and expertise garnered over the course of a decade earned him a promotion to Brandy Expert in 1997, and eventually to Chief Brandy Master. In this position he oversaw the quality issues of the total process of KWV’s production from wine to bottle.
Over the years, Kobus has served on various wine and brandy tasting panels, kept an eye on distillation in KWV’s Worcester and Upington cellars, on maturation in Paarl and Worcester, and finally the blending of different spirits in Paarl related products such as brandies, gin, vodka and liqueurs.
Taking all the years of skills and experience, Kobus continues to do that which he loves and knows best – making brandy and share all his passion and expertise with others. Mountain Spirit is based in Paarl.
When he’s not nosing, tasting and talking brandy, Kobus plays golf and does a bit of fishing. He speaks a little French and German and is married to Hanlie. They have daughter, Jana.
Contact Kobus at Mountain Spirit to learn more about his passion for brandy, or to enquire about bulk brandy sales and export.